Karma... the Golden Rule!



Karma is a simple word with a simple basic meaning - action - however, many of us use karma in a more negative context. "He got hit by a wild buck while riding his bike?... he must have had bad karma" - (see video for reference).


The other day, while I was walking, a man fell in front of me and cut his head wide open. I assisted by helping him up, however, that was the extent of good samaritan deed. I didn't ensure he was going to get help. I directed him to the local Starbucks and ironically I continued on route to my yoga class looking for my next "happiness" fix.  


"Tomorrow's events depend very much on today's actions, this year's events on last year's, while this century's events are linked with those of the previous centuries.  The actions of previous generations affect the lives of the generations that follow" - Dalai Lama


Louisa, even though she probably doesn't know this, is the most karmic person I know and will ever know.  She has the unknowing ability to act with her heart - unconditional love and compassion.  If a man cut himself in front of Louisa she would have piggybacked him to the hospital (if required and if he was a midget)... without hesitation.  


She doesn't care about or help others to "increase" her karma, she doesn't act morally and unselfishly because society expects her to, she just follows her heart and acts in the way she would want others to act towards her.  This to me is the essence of karma - treat others as one would like others to treat oneself - the Golden Rule.  


I now believe that karma is directly linked to happiness.  If you follow your heart, treat people the way you want to be treated and live in the present, happiness will be obtained.  Anyone that knows Louisa can attest that she is always happy, always positive and always cares.  The World needs more people like Louisa ... 


I am very grateful for having Louisa in my life and grateful for her showing me what life should be about... your heart's desire!